Thursday, July 15, 2010

“Reaffirming the Writing Workshop for Young Adolescents” – Sheryl Lain

Lain gives us great insight into her classroom in this article. She is so articulate about what has worked for her and how it has been a learning process to get to where she is today in instructing a writer’s workshop. Honestly, I enjoyed reading this article, but found that I did not highlight nearly as much powerful text as I did when I read Calkins or Rief, for example.
One part of the article that I thought was really powerful was when she talked about conferencing on page 25. “How do I know what to say in a conference? I write myself, and because I write, I know what to celebrate, what questions to ask, what teaching tips to offer, what to ponder. I know, because as I write my own lines or struggle to untangle a thread of my own thinking, I’m learning how writing works. This is the knowledge I share with my students.” How insightful! I really appreciated this passage because it brings home how important it is for us, as teachers, to also continue to be readers, writers, and life-long learners.
My journey as I writer is just getting started. This is my first real experience with writing for pleasure. My writing in the past has always had a real purpose (a focused assignment, transactional writing). Even though we are completing assignments in the Summer Institute, I feel the structure is flexible enough to let us really explore our writing. Thank you for this experience!

1 comment:

  1. I am so pleased to hear you say you are exploring personal writing. We all need to carve out time to do it more often if we can. It is such an enjoyable act to putting words to paper.

    ReplyDelete