Monday, July 26, 2010

Bird by Bird #2 - Anne Lamott

Lamott continues to talk a lot about the imperfections of writing in the second part of her book, Bird by Bird. She talks in-depth about how false starts happen and your topic may change course mid-way through an article or piece of writing. Lamott also discusses that writers may begin writing and decide to scrap the whole idea and start fresh with something new.
The brutal honesty that Lamott expresses about the struggles that writers, even successful writers, face everyday are refreshing! Some students (myself included) assume that writers sit down with a piece of paper and a pen and end up with a completed work a few days/weeks/months later without any problems along the way. Anne Lamott dispels this myth with her witty humor and vivid descriptions of what it is really like to be a writer.
I appreciated the ideas that she gave on using index cards strewn all over and on your person at all times for those moments when you have a vision or idea you simply must write down. Lamott catches her reader’s attention with so many personal stories, some funny, some sincere, some gut-wrenchingly sad. Her personal stories open us up to her, as a person. This is what a memoir is supposed to do. As I read her book and re-read sections I like, I find my imagination following her through her stories, her days as a writer.
Lamott’s insights to novice writers are particularly useful. They give us a realistic view of the journey each writer takes, and how they are all different, unique to your experiences, but hopefully end up with some beautifully written pieces all your own.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are gaining much from this book. I really liked it the first time I read it, and now I want to read it again! I agree that her insights to novice writers are useful.

    ReplyDelete